Don’t wait an entire year before refreshing your skills with a CFI. Book a remote instructor to complete a simulated Instrument Proficiency Check (IPC) using your home flight simulator (such as X-Plane or MSFS).
Our IPC can be tailored to your specific aircraft and style of flying. However, we recommend the following basic structure:
- Flight planning prep: Based on the type of flying you typically do, your instructor will assign a short cross-country route (30-50 miles) prior to the session. We recommend coming to your session with this flight pre-planned, or you can complete the planning with the guidance of your instructor
- Ground Review: A review of the current general operating and flight rules set out in Part 91
- We recommend performing the flight on an ATC network (such as PilotEdge or VATSIM) for maximum immersion
- Our FSC Link software utility will allow your instructor to set unexpected failures and weather/environmental conditions to test your skills
- After completing the cross-country flight, if time is available, additional targeted practice exercises can be completed to help improve your skills
- Debriefing: Learn how to utilize recording and other debrief tools within your simulator to find areas for improvement.
- Practice plan: Get recommendations for a practice plan that will allow you to use your simulator to maintain a high level of proficiency