- This event has passed.
Practice VFR ATC communications! Flight following between Class D airports.
October 20, 2020 @ 9:00 pm - 10:30 pm WEST
About this event
MAXIMUM OF 4 PARTICIPANTS ALLOWED.
This session will be a fully interactive ATC (Air Traffic Control) practice workshop. You can practice ATC communications and get individual feedback in a relaxed environment. Don’t worry about making mistakes!
If you have been nervous about joining online ATC networks such as PilotEdge or VATSIM, this will be a perfect opportunity to get your feet wet and build your confidence.
It will also be useful for new student pilots, or rated pilots who want to brush the rust off and tighten up their current skills.
The goal will be for you to become proficient using proper FAA phraseology and communications procedures, so you can sound professional and confident on the radio.
You’re welcome to join regardless of your experience level.
Flight + topics: The session will be based on PilotEdge’s CAT-05 rating flight. (Note: The flight will not be conducted on the PilotEdge)
CAT-05: Class D to Class D with Flight Following: Fly between two Class D airports and obtain VFR Traffic Advisories while en-route (KSMX-KBFL)
In addition, I will be presenting information and creating scenarios pertaining to:
- Airspace considerations
- ATC radar capabilities and basic radar services
- ATC separation standards
- Finding frequencies to get flight following
- In-flight traffic information
- Visually finding aircraft based on ATC traffic point outs
How will it work?
- We’ll begin the session with quick introductions of your name and your flying/sim background.
- I will be flying my simulator (X-Plane 11), streaming the flight to Zoom. As I fly, I will also be acting as air traffic control, providing realistic ATC clearances and creating interesting scenarios.
- However, YOU and the other participants will take turns making each radio transmission and directing any radio frequency setup. On my screen, there will be a visual indicator showing the name of who is responsible for the radio at any given moment.
I will help guide you based on your individual experience level, providing feedback on your individual radio calls.
Flight rules: VFR
Duration: 90 minutes
About me: I’m Mike, a real-world CFI (certified flight instructor) and ATP (airline transport pilot) who is passionate about using flight simulators to teach others about aviation. I have a varied background in aviation, starting as an aerospace engineer at Boeing, followed by several years of flying regional jets throughout the US. My main passion is with teaching, and I have been a flight instructor (CFI/CFII) since 2010.
Refunds: Refunds are not available. I reserve the right to cancel the session if a minimum of 4 attendees is not reached 1 day before the event. In this case, I will fully refund your payment.
Format: Online via Zoom. Questions and discussion among attendees will be welcome and encouraged. Link to the Zoom meeting will be included in confirmation email
One-on-one training: I also provide customized one-on-one coaching. Visit flightsimcoach.com for more information.
This session is considered supplementary coaching only. It is not loggable, nor is it a substitute for in-person instruction by the flight instructor who is signing your logbook!