Intended audience and outcome
This one-on-one remote coaching plan is intended for pre-solo private pilot students.
It will provide an opportunity to learn and practice basic flight maneuvers under the supervision of an instructor to help establish proper habits from day 1. The focus is on skills that can be easily practiced during solo simulator practice and that will carry over well to the actual aircraft – including scan patterns and mental processes. The ideal outcome is that you will be able to demonstrate these skills to your real-world instructor and be able to more quickly progress onto other training tasks.
Omitted are training tasks that are highly dependent on real aircraft feel and dynamics (such as practicing the landing flare and touchdown). No ATC communications are covered in this plan.
If you have already started to cover some of these topics with your real-world instructor, don’t worry. Consider this plan a starting point. We can add/remove topics based on your specific needs.
Time and cost to complete
6 hours. The cost is dependent on the hourly rate of your chosen flight instructor.
- Session 1 90 mins 4 fundamentals, basic aircraft control, trimming
- Session 2 90 mins Stabilized approaches, wind drift, and crosswind approach techniques
- Session 3 90 mins Traffic pattern procedures
- Session 4 90 mins Engine failure procedures
- Ground reference maneuvers: Rectangular courses, turns around a point, and S-turns across a road. Best suited for those with VR or head tracking devices.
- Slow flight and stalls: While these cannot be fully mastered in your desktop flight simulator, we can still utilize it to help you understand and visualize the concept of angle of attack, basic stall recovery steps, and maneuver entry procedures.
- Steep turns: We can use your simulator to help you understand and visualize the dynamics of a steep turn, and practice the associated sight pictures and instrument scans.
Featured Ground School Course
Sporty’s Learn To Fly Course
“Everything you need to prepare for your written test and earn your pilot certificate, with online ground school, FAA test prep, and real-world training – all in one easy-to-use package.”Learn More