FAA WINGS Activity Page
This activity is intended as a refresher for rated pilots on non-towered airport communications.
- A review and discussion of an NTSB report of an accident that occurred at a non-towered airport (15 minutes)
- A review of best practices in AC 90-66B (Non-Towered Airport Flight Operations) (30 minutes)
- An opportunity to practice proper radio phraseology at a non-towered airport using a consumer desktop flight simulator as a visualization tool (45 minutes)
Total duration: 90 minutes
- Demonstrate an understanding of:
- Towered and nontowered airport operations (PA.III.B.K1)
- Radio communications at towered and nontowered airports (PA.II.D.K6b)
- How to obtain proper radio frequencies (PA.III.A.K1)
- Proper radio communication procedures and ATC phraseology (PA.III.A.K2)
- Demonstrate an ability to:
- Select appropriate frequencies (PA.III.A.S1)
- Transmit using phraseology and procedures as specified in the AIM (PA.III.A.S2)
- Acknowledge radio communications and comply with instructions (PA.III.A.S3)
- Perform runway selection for the current conditions (PA.III.B.K2)
- Use automated weather and airport information (PA.III.B.K4)
To sign up: Book an instructor for 90 minutes via this page, indicating that you wish you complete this WINGS activity: https://flightsimcoach.com/flight-instructors/
The instructor you select must be indicated as an FAA CFI to be able to provide you with credit.
- The use of Zoom is required for this activity (to facilitate voice communications and screen share).
- You do not need your own flight simulator to participate in this activity. If you don’t have a simulator, your flight instructor can “screen share” while flying their own simulator to facilitate visualization of the traffic pattern and airport operations, while you practice verbalizing the radio calls.
- The use of a webcam is optional but recommended.
For additional information: Visit flightsimcoach.com or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.