Distance: 32 nautical miles
ETE: 19 minutes (100 knots groundspeed)
PilotEdge ATC coverage: SLC Approach
General considerations and preflight review
- Weight and CG: 1 passenger (180 pounds) in the front seat. Full fuel. No baggage.
- SPK airport has an AWOS-3PT system. What does the 3PT indicate?
- Suggested reading: AIM 7-6-6 (j) Mountain Flying
- “All it takes to form a mountain wave is wind blowing across the range at ___ knots or better at an intersection angle of not less than ___ degrees.”
- Suggested failure [X-Plane]:
- If using G1000: G1000 PDF pilot-side: Set mean time until failure: 25 minutes
- If using steam gauges: Vertical speed indicator: Set mean time until failure: 25 minutes
For VFR flights
- Use extreme caution for the Class B airspace! There may be numerous aircraft arriving or departing SLC airport.
- If real-world weather is IMC, then set the weather with a ceiling of 9000 ft
- What does this symbol mean?
For IFR flights
If real-world weather is VMC, then set the weather to:
- Wind layer 1: 090 at 10 from surface to 7000 MSL
- Wind layer 2: 050 at 20 from 7000 MSL upwards
- Cloud layer 2: 6500-8500 MSL stratus layer
Review the meaning of this symbol on the approach plate:
What does the highlighted note mean?
Other SimGym Info
Logbook submission deadline
11:59 PM PST on November 1, 2021
Instructor-supervised group flight info
October 27, 2021 at 8 PM EDT via Discord
Flight instructor: Leigh Ehrmann